Boston (22-18-5) will travel to Detroit (19-19-6) to take on the Detroit Red Wings in an ‘original six’ rivalry Wednesday night at 8pm EST on the NBC Sports Network . Both teams come into this game with a 2-2-1 record in their last five. The Islanders soundly defeated the Bruins on Monday afternoon 4-0. Detroit comes off a big win Monday against Montreal 1-0.
- David Pastrnak- 19 (Boston)
- Thomas Vanek- 12 (Detroit)
- Brad Marchand- 26 (Boston)
- Henrik Zetterberg- 22 (Detroit)
- Brad Marchand- 43 (Boston)
- Henrik Zetterberg- 31 (Detroit)
Defenseman Colin Miller, out since January 10th with a lower-body injury, has started skating with the team again but isn’t expected to return for this game. Defenseman Kevan Miller remains sidelined due to a concussion he suffered on Saturday night in Philadelphia. Matt Beleskey traveled to Detroit and to skate with the team. He should return next week after missing 21 games due to an MCL injury.
Goalie Jimmy Howard has been out for a while with an MCL injury. He’s made progress skating with them team but is not expected to play for Detroit. The wings center Darren Helm, out with a shoulder injury since November 15th, has been practicing and skating with the team but is not expected to play as well.
KEYS FOR EACH TEAM
Defensively Boston needs protect Tuukka early and not allow easy, open shots for the Red Wings. Tuukka can struggle early in games due to teams getting a lot of good shots on him. They need to set the tone early defensively in this matchup. Offensively Brad Marchand needs to stay hot. Marchand has had 5 goals and 4 assists in the last 5 games. David Pastrnak needs to get back on track offensively as well. He is too talented to be in a month long goal scoring drought. Lines 2-4 have to produce for the Bruins to be successful as well, especially Krejci’s line.
Offensively the Red Wings need to get shots early and often on Tuukka. They also need to get their young player Dylan Larkin going. After such a hot rookie year, he hasn’t had the same production for this team. They also need to have Thomas Vanek keep producing the way he has. Defensively they need to protect Jared Coreau and stop Boston’s offense from getting good opportunities early. Shutting down Marchand will be a big priority for them due to his recent goal scoring output.
- Brad Marchand-Patrice Bergeron- David Pastrnak
- Frank Vatrano-David Krejci-David Backes
- Tim Schaller- Ryan Spooner- Riley Nash
- Austin Czarnik- Dominic Moore- Anton Blidh
- Zdeno Chara- Brandon Carlo
- Torey Krug- Adam McQuaid
- Joe Morrow- John Michael-Liles
- Tuukka Rask
Detroit Red Wings
- Gustav Nyquist- Henrik Zetterberg- Anthony Mantha
- Andreas Anthansiou- Frans Nielsen- Thomas Vanek
- Tomas Tatar- Riley Sheahan- Dylan Larkin
- Justin Abdelkader- Luke Glandening- Drew Miller
- Danny DeKeysey- Mike Green
- Jonathon Ericsson- Alexey Marchenko
- Xavier Ouellet- Nick Jensen
- Jared Coreau
These two teams haven’t had the first half of the season they planned. The Bruins sit in the 6th spot in the East and 2nd in the Atlantic. The Red Wings are 14th in the East and 7th in the Atlantic. Scoring has been a big issue with Detroit this whole year. Their lines aren’t producing like the team expected which has them out of the playoffs. Boston has had defensive issues allowing an average of four goals over their past five games. This should be a very interesting match up in a prime-time spot for a Wednesday night rivalry on NBCSN.