The Metropolitan division hasn’t changed much since last week. The Washington Capitals stay at the top and the Pittsburgh Penguins, Columbus Blue Jackets and New York Rangers fall behind in order. However the Philadelphia Flyers now sit in second to last in the division as the Carolina Hurricanes have gained points on them and sit three points back of the New York Islanders. The New Jersey Devils occupy last place.
CLINCHED PLAYOFF BERTHS
- The Washington Capitals – the Capitals were the first team in the NHL to clinch a playoff berth. They are now fighting for the number-one seed in the Eastern Conference, currently one point above the Pittsburgh Penguins with ten games to play each.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins – The Penguins have come on strong as of late, moving past the Columbus Blue Jackets for second place in the Metro. They also have clinched a playoff berth after their win Tuesday night.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets – The Blue Jackets sit in third place behind the Penguins but have a game in hand. They have also clinched a playoff berth as their incredible year continues.
TEAMS FIGHTING FOR A PLAYOFF SPOT
- New York Rangers– The Rangers have almost clinched the first wild card spot. They have had a great year and sit in fourth in the division due to the top three teams playing great. They look to continue their season and close out as the first wild card team.
- New York Islanders– The Islanders are fighting for the last wild card spot. They sit three points behind the Toronto Maple Leafs for the last wild card spot in the Eastern Conference.
- Carolina Hurricanes– Carolina has come on as of late and now sit six points out of the playoffs with ten games left. The Hurricanes were in last in the Metro for most of the year but have moved ahead due to their recent play.
- Philadelphia Flyers– The Flyers have been up and down all season but still have shot to get into the playoffs with 10 games left. They are seven points back of the last wild card spot, which looks bleak for them due to their recent play.
- New Jersey Devils– New Jersey is one of the three teams that has been eliminated from playoff contention. It has been a rough year for the Devils as they now turn their attention to next year.
THREE STARS OF THE WEEK
- Niklas Backstrom C Washington Capitals– Three games played with seven points from one goal and six assists. He now sits in second in the NHL for assists with 56. He led Washington to a 2-0-1 record during the week.
- Sidney Crosby C Pittsburgh Penguins– Four games played with seven points from six goals and one assist. He regained the lead for goals this year, overtaken earlier in the week by Brad Marchand. Crosby showed off his incredible skill by scoring a goal with one hand. He lead Pittsburgh to a 3-1 record in four games.
- T.J. Oshie RW Washington Capitals- Three games played with six points from four goals and two assists. Oshie now surpassed the 30-goal mark this season. He had a hat trick for Washington against the Tampa Bay Lightning. Oshie helped lead Washington to a 2-0-1 record.
Here is a look at the incredible goal Sidney Crosby scored for Pittsburgh against the Buffalo Sabres. Truly remarkable.
We head into the last 10 games for most of the teams. It will be interesting to see if Pittsburgh or Columbus can jump Washington for the number-one spot in the Eastern Conference and Metro division. Also, it will be interesting to see when the Rangers clinch the top wild card spot.